- Take a sociological perspective on social issues.
- Understand the role of empirical evidence in relation to scientific theories.
- Have knowledge of key substantive areas within the field of sociology.
- Design and apply appropriate research methods to investigate sociological questions, including:
- formulate well reasoned questions for sociological inquiry
- gather empirical evidence
- summarize empirical evidence
- evaluate what the empirical evidence implies for the research questions
- communicate results of empirical inquiry
- Possess the skills required to use sociological knowledge in the 21st century, including technological competence for:
- conducting research
- searching for literature and other scholarly resources
- analyzing information
- writing reports
- presenting results
- Typical Program
- Second Year Paper
- M.A. in Sociology
- Field Examinations
- Democracy Studies
- News & Events